Thursday, April 5, 2018

April Was Too Soon

Why the End of March?

The pain and reality of being double booked required my departure from S. Texas at the end of March instead of my middle April expectation.  Sweet are the memories of those who planned and attended the departure party in the re-purposed classroom.




I am home, but taking a on line course, Module 4, at www.beadisciple.com.  I’m preparing to obtain a certified laity position with the United Methodist Church

From BeADisciple’s Web Page:

BeADisciple is also a community of people who are invested in becoming better Christian disciples. As courses are conducted in small groups with a trained facilitator or a certified instructor, students and instructors have an opportunity to get to know one another. Groups begin together, progress through materials, and end together. Individual students participate at the time of day that works best for their schedule and are not required to be online at the same time as other participants. Our courses are open to anyone, and there’s no membership fee to be a part of our community — simply enroll in a course that interests you! CEU credits are available for all of our courses.

BeADisciple.com is one of several programs of the Richard and Julia Wilke Institute for Discipleship at Southwestern College, a United Methodist institution in Winfield, Kansas. To learn about all of the Institute’s activities, visit http://www.institutefordiscipleship.org



Unexpected but Appreciated Help and Company

I had such a terrible experience on the roads in down town Houston on my way down, I emailed my daughter-in-law, Gale, asking her to find me a way to come home so I did not have to drive through downtown Houston. 

Her solution was better than I could have thought or imagined.  She flew down and drove me home!




My first breakfast on the the road in Texas was a dish titled, Eggs, Al La Mexicana.  It was delicious. 

Sure do love the hot sauces of Texas.







Unexpected Memory Trigger

Passing through a government check point brought back the many memories of my service with World Council of Churches in their Ecumenical Accompaniment Program Palestine Israel.

God has used that experience and the memories it triggers to help me "see" injustice that I had previously not identified and named.  

An awakening that has and is changing what I say and do.

 



Home in April

Looking out my window, I was greeted with SNOW.  Sad to see it, but VERY glad I did not have to drive in it.

The snow lasted only a day or two.   Soon we had "greenish brown" lawn again.



Even More Snow (A Primer for my Texas Friends)

April 4th I woke up to another storm.  I opened the Garage door to find a drift of about a foot high had blown against the door. 






It was garbage day and the trash bin had to go out by 6:30 AM.









Pulling the bin through the snow was not an easy task.  The strong wind made it even more difficult.







When the light of dawn came it showed the reality, the bin had been blown over by the strong wind. 

I had to go back out in the storm to set it upright.

The wind had been blowing so hard, that my previous tracks were already snow covered.










All was well, waiting.  

What I did not know was that the garbage service was canceled because of the weather.


The picture to the right is a picture of side-ways snow.

Sorry it is not really clear, 

When it is snowing and windy the snow comes down to the ground sideways.







Weather Matters

Remembering again how in Traverse City, MI the weather is an intrusion on scheduling.  I have been forced to stay home because of bad roads.  It is a good thing, however, I am getting a lot done on my class assignments!

Remember Refugees in Your Prayers

Many Are Facing Weather without Needed Protection