Sunday, January 12, 2014

Arrival and Adjustments

THE TRAVEL

Boats, train, plane and 23 hours to arrive at 6:20 PM in Ammn.

Gift of Grace

God had arranged that I meet Holly last summer at Traverse Bay UMC.  She lives and works in Ammon.  She and an English Arabic speaking friend, Haloup, met me at the airport, helped me obtain a phone and delivered me to the hotel.

A Tourist

My first day to be a tourist was blessed with Holly and Haloup' s company and transportation.


We visited Mount Nebo viewing the Promised Land from where it is believed Moses stood.
 (Photo pending finding a cable for camera connection to new laptop, sorry).


In Madaba, at St Georges church we saw mosaic map of the Holy Land.  It was laid between 542 and 570 in a Byzantine church that stood on the same site.  Over 2,000,000 pieces were in the original.  Amazing mapping for that era.
(Photo pending)

There were many beautiful mosaics which I am sure were acts of worship by their creators.
(Photo pending)



The last place we visited was the site where it is believed that Jesus was baptized.
There is a beautiful church built by the site.










It was my opportunity to consider the Christian's concept of God.

God the Son being baptised, God the Holy Spirit coming in the form of a dove, and God the Father's voice  saying,
This is my Son, whom I love;with him I am well pleased."  Matthew 3:17.by



To the right shows how this area probably looked in Jesus' time.













As I stood with pilgrims from Jordan at the Jordan side of the Jordan River, straight across the river were Israeli pilgrims.   We were all there to honor Jesus.


My hope is we will all honor Jesus by doing what he taught, "Love One Another."