Friday, May 24, 2013

Sabeel Ecumenical Liberation Theology Center


My first visit to the center created many wonderful memories.  With the help of a teammate’s phone call and a wonderful bus driver, we found the building in yet another part of Jerusalem.  

On the same bus was a group of trainees with the Christian Peacemaker Team, also going to attend the communion prayer service at Sabeel.  This new trainee group made up of people from all over the world furthering God’s peace and justice.  No pictures or names; I do not want to create anything that will keep them from getting back into Israel. 

The founder of Sabeel, Naim Ateek, led in beautiful remembrance of  Jesus’ sacrifice for our salvation.  

Lunch together and a program of recognition followed for two longtime friends of Sabeel, Doug and Kathy.  After many years, these two servants of God will be returning to their home countries. 



I was glad to be able to talk to Naim Ateek, I saw him last at a meeting in Michigan’s Grand Valley College shortly before I left for this assignment.




 You know my love of books.  How fun it was to learn that one of the books on my shelf back home was dedicated to Kathy who was being honored at this event.

These were some on display here that I hope to add to my library.  

There is going to be a Sabeel Conference in Chicago in November.  Maybe we can attend together.







It was fun meeting the staff and friends of Sabeel. 




Also nice to be able to catch a ride “home” with the United Methodist Liaisons to Israel and Palestine, Janet Lahr Lewis and Rev. Kristen Brown.